Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Gilloolied


Gilloolied: 

-to kneecap someone
-anything that is incredibly ill conceived
-mismanaged, incompetently handled or poorly executed.


Never thought I would ever be crushing over mustached douchebag Jeff Gillooly, but when played by Sebastian Stan, I found myself doing just that. In I, Tonya, Stan skillfully plays the abusive idiot to perfection, and although I hated the character, no amount of facial hair and make-up could hide the sexy side of Sebastian. The entire cast of I, Tonya was superb, starting with the brilliant performance by Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding. I love me some Allison Janney, but I sometimes thought she played it a bit broad, but then again, the woman she played was 'over the top'.

Political Animals with Sigourney Weaver and James Wolk

I haved loved Sebastian Stan since his turn on Political Animals, and still mourn the show's cancellation. The Romanian born actor has been working steadily on stage, TV and film since Political Animals left the air, most notably as Bucky Barnes / Winter Soldier in The Captain America films, but I, Tonya really gave him a great platform to showcase his considerable acting skills. It also gave us a brief, very brief (I mean very) shot of the top of his well toned butt while Harding humping.

Harding and Gillooly

I, Tonya gives a fascinating peek at Tonya's life during her time in the lime light, and spotlight, while skating professionally. Although the film doesn't necessarily strive to have us like her, it does succeed in having us understand, and totally relate to the strong, but hardened woman we saw on the ice. I never found Nancy Kerrigan a particularly likable or compelling figure, and I, Tonya wisely has Kerrigan as a relatively minor piece of the drama, and of Tonya's life.


No comments: